Sunday, April 15, 2012

Picking a petal off the flower by deleting my blog.

For the past few months I have had President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's relief society broadcast talk on my mind a lot. He talked about the beautiful flower the Forget me not. It is a small flower with five petals on it and vibrant in color. He picked each petal on the flower and gave it a "title"

In short the petals became new in meaning to me. (as I'm sure many others who have heard or read the talk) They are...

"First, forget not to be patient with yourself."
"Second, forget not the difference between a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice."
with this one he continued to say
"There are so many good things to do, but we can’t do all of them. Our Heavenly Father is most pleased when we sacrifice something good for something far greater with an eternal perspective. Sometimes, that may even mean nurturing small but beautiful forget-me-not flowers instead of a large garden of exotic blooms."
"Third, forget not to be happy now."
"Fourth, forget not the 'why' of the gospel."
"Fifth, forget not that the Lord loves you."

If you'd like to read the talk, and I encourage you to no matter what your beliefs are, I think anyone would enjoy this one. Go here~
http://www.lds.org/ensign/2011/11/forget-me-not?lang=eng



They really are so pretty!

These five little things are so simple yet so miraculous. I find myself referring back to his talk on almost all of these topics a lot in the past few months. The one that I am talking about most in this blog is the second one. "Forget not the difference in a good sacrifice and a foolish sacrifice." here is why.

I have noticed how much time I spend on the computer (while the kids are awake) or watching TV (after they are in bed) I waste SO much time. I have decided to delete most of my TV programs off the DVR ( I kept two!) and I am going to delete things from the Internet that I don't need to be spending so much time on... with that said I am going to delete my Blog. I have been thinking about this for a few weeks and have decided that the time I waste typing these things down I could write them in a paper journal. (which I prefer, I'll do it way more often) Another big reason for this decision is that, look how far technology has come in just a short amount of time. For example. Robbie and I have a disc of pictures from the first year we were married, this past year we found the disc and popped it in the computer to check out our fun memories. The disc was so old from a non working program that we couldn't see the pictures on either of our computers. I worry that when I "journal" on the computer that things can go wrong and entries can be lost. And the biggest reason for me is because keeping a blog is a "foolish sacrifice" Like I said I'm on the computer while the kids are awake and playing, I should be playing with them. If I save it until night time after they are in bed I miss out on time spent with my husband catching up on each others day or studying my scriptures or my running... for me the blog has become a "foolish sacrifice"

I have decided to go back to writing my thoughts in my book journals!
For some reason this seems more sentimental then a cold computer. If something were to happen to me the kids and Robbie could have something of me to carry with them or have on a book shelf and "visit" when they missed me, by reading some of the pages. Journaling in a book can be passed down from generation to generation. And in a book I can write more personal things and feelings of and for myself.

I think blogging is amazing, I love reading blogs and am fascinated that some people have even made money or very successful businesses from blogging or because of blogging. If one day I own my own cupcake shoppe or Bed and Breakfast I'll open a blog to keep it going! ;)
but for now me and my personal thoughts and feelings are going to go old fashioned pen and paper!
I will however still be checking your blogs from time to time and will love watching what fun things you are yours are doing.
I will have this up for a few more weeks to print all of my posts or I've hear you can send them off to be made in a book ( looking into that) so I can have these memories still.
Thank you for supporting my blog, all 101 posts! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment