Sunday, March 25, 2012

Making old things better!

When Robbie and I got married we moved to Virginia, which was quite an adventure in itself. When we first got there we started house hunting, or more correctly Apartment searching! We had set a price limit and wanted to stick to it. We searched and searched for days and days. Nothing was proving to be what we needed or wanted including a safe neighbor hood. So we decided to try a place in the next $100. range which wasn't going to hurt us but made ALL the difference. One morning we went to a little place called Ivy stone Apartments. We went through their model an immediately signed the contract. Unfortunately we couldn't move in for about three weeks. So we shacked up with some great friends. Well this little story only has one relation to the actual story. We were so happy to find a beautiful, safe place to live we didn't notice how small the kitchen really was...oh man was it small! For all of our dishes, pots and pans and our new stoneware AND groceries ( yes no pantry, sad!) we had a whopin' total of 2 1/2 cupboards...WHAT? So with no place to put anything we decided we needed to buy a Kitchen Microwave stand ( yes there was no place to put a microwave! ) we measured the tiny empty space where the dishwasher opened up to and decided on the biggest size we could get. (the dishwasher had one inch between it and the microwave stand when opened whew!) So we headed to a few stores and found what we were looking for at Wal-Mart. It was perfect. It held our microwave and all the pots and pans, opening up quite a bit of room for us.


Well a short three years later we made our next move back to Utah and with that move we got a bigger kitchen (thank goodness!) I couldn't WAIT to get rid of the kitchen stand. I wanted to either sell it our re finish it. Robbie promised me for three years he would sand it down and re finish it for me for my craft room. Somehow though, the kitchen stand made a permanent spot at the entry in the back door. I tried and tried to get rid of it but soon accepted its permanent station and made the best use of it that I could. I VOWED that it would not come with us on the next move. I had out grown its color and usefulness. I wanted to store my things in kitchen cupboards only. Lo and behold Robert insisted that is make the journey to Florida with us and that he would either re finish it there or put it in his garage....nope! It ended up in our bedroom closet storing my scrapbook things there. It was useful but I couldn't help notice all the wasted space I wasn't using in our closet for clothes and coats etc.

SOOO a few days before New Year’s Eve 2011, I emptied it out and rolled it to the garage...finally it's out of my house right? Uh-uhaa, I had bigger and better plans then making it a garage unit. I started right away and got to sanding it. I took all the old stain off and with some helpful hints from Robbie I got the wood nice and smooth. Carefully I picked out the stain that I wanted and the distress look I wanted and got to work. About two weeks (ish) later (limited time!) I finished my project. I didn't want to put the same old boring silver handles on it so we made a trip to home depot where there was not one handle that grabbed the essence of the cabinet. So after remembering a blog I had read about spry painting metal I made my way to the spray paint. I looked at all the colors. I had the employ put a little of the stain I used on a pint stick and took it to the wall of spray paint colors! I was leaning towards a blue, then a purple, then a maroon then a yellow no not that yellow let’s try this yellow. No, that's still not it...hmmmmm. Then there it was a teal...could it be? In the past year I have bought and returned teal rugs, teal lamps, and teal accessories. NOTHING was working with the color teal. I test sprayed it and it was PERFECT for the driftwood, antiqued, beach look I was going for. I took it home did the steps to the metal that is suggested and sprayed my heart out. After a little while Robbie and I screwed the newly painted handles onto the cabinet and it was PERFECT!

I know proudly display my first (of what I hope will be many) pieces of re finished furniture in the office and have filled it with my scrap book stamps and ribbons etc.
I'm so happy I didn't give up on my vision for that cabinet that I had for so many years! I'm even more proud that it was all my work (of course with tips and examples from my wonderful husband )

Something I discovered while I was working on this cabinet was the extreme calm I feel when I'm working with the wood. Nothing I have ever done takes my mind off my troubles more then when I'm working with wood. Since then Robbie has taught me how to use his big saw (yes, it has a proper name, I call it the "big saw"!) and hopefully his little saw so I can cut shapes and letters out on my own.

Here are some before and after pictures of the cabinet!

This is the before cabinet picture where she sat in the closet becoming, yet again, a catch all!

Getting started!

FINISHED!

I’m going to hang those pictures on the wall above it. I used the same stain on those as the cabinet so they would look good with it. I eventually want to find a circle or antique looking frame to spray the teal color and hang with them.

The top!

Inside.

I had these three baskets from Trenton and Elaina’s baby stuff so I pulled the liner our and sprayed the one teal (the others were already white) I think I will eventually spray all three teal, we’ll see!


I like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment